Quick, easy Apricot & Cranberry crunchies
While there are many, many recipes for crunchies and I’m fairly sure every family has their own special secret recipe, the principle tends to remain quite similar. Most recipes like this one list old fashioned oats, coconut and flour mixed together with melted butter that has been combined with a touch of syrup or honey but the sky is the limit as far as additions or favourite combinations. Chopped white chocolate and cranberries would work and so would dark chocolate and orange rind. I have added dried fruits to mine and the family have almost polished off a batch in 2 days.
Crunchies with dried apricots and cranberries
2 Tbsp syrup
1 cup brown bread or wholewheat flour
1 cup coconut
2 cups oats
A generous pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarb
1 cup sugar
125ml dried apricots, finely chopped
125ml dried cranberries
1. Melt the syrup and margarine together in the microwave for four minutes.
2. Mix your dry ingredients together.
3. Add the syrup mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Press into a well greased baking sheet.
5. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes until golden brown.
6. Cut while warm and soft and after a few minutes remove from the pan.
7. Cool on newspaper to remove excess oil and leave to harden.
I have a large roll of newsprint that we use for arts and crafts but it also comes in handy here.
Make sure to cut them while they are still soft because once they harden you will have to break them off in chunks. Allow to cool and enjoy with a tall glass of ice cold milk as an after school snack or to dip into your coffee during your mid morning coffee break.